Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is the Church about the church?

So I've been reading the bio of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and his reflections of the American Church in the 20s as a 24 year old have made an impact of me! he writes:

"The Union (seminary) students talk a blue streak without the slightest substantive foundation and with no evidence of any criteria...they are unfamiliar with even the most basic questions. They have become intoxicated with liberal and humanistic phrases, laugh at the fundamentalists...In New York they preach about virtually everything; only one thing is not addressed...the gospel of Jesus Christ..." He goes on to talk about large churches and describe them as "charitable and social corporations" instead of a "congregation of believers in Christ."

My question: Is it all that different today? My fear is that 'the Church is about the church' and by that I mean that God's people generally speaking are most concerned with the success of their local context (the local church as a social or charitable corporation) instead of being most concerned with sharing the gospel Jesus and disciple-ing people!

What if local churches cared most about telling the story of Jesus and about people? First of all, it would finally give context for the social and charitable behavior of a church that it no doubt must have. Its an issue, I think, of trust and priority as local church leaders. I will put 1st things 1st and trust God for what 'success' looks like for my local context!


No comments: