Tuesday, August 10, 2010

more than TOMS

In the past year, I've read several books this year with a common thread of 'do something GREAT with your life' and besides wanting to change the world after reading each book, I end with a dilemma...is it better to do 'GREAT things' or to do the everyday things with GREATness? (This is partly to make me feel better that the 'GREATest' I've done for the world lately is sponsor 1 kid for about $30 a month and bought a pair of TOMS for my wife.)

But I read books and see movies of real men and women who changed the world, their country, even the life of a friend and I have to be honest; I get bored with my day-to-day sometimes and I want to give my whole life to something and specifically, something that God is doing. These heros give up everything from safety and convenience to money and even their life so someone else could live (better). What I forget is that these GREAT people lived ordinary lives before and sometimes after their time in the spot light. And I realize its not a question of choosing either moderately important things with GREATness or doing GREAT things with my life but more about being willing to exercise the same sacrifice when I have the opportunity!

So I will read fewer 'how-to change the world' books and more stories of ordinary people who seized opportunities to die so someone else could live! Meanwhile, I wait for opportunities to give my hour, day and life to something GREAT God would call me to!

No comments: