Saturday, January 15, 2011

CONTINUE...

Too often I determine my spiritual growth by where I am camped out on the 'mountain' instead of how God determines our my change; by the very fact that I am still climbing.

I've been pretty intrigued my Everest lately. I've watched a couple of documentaries and even other climbing pieces. And ignoring for a few minutes that the proverbial parallels of living life and climbing mountains have pretty much been rung dry, there is an observation I've made that I think is worth sharing. Its not noteworthy just when you summit a mountain. Its also quite noteworthy when you give everything you have in the pursuit of summit-ting a mountain. To quote the cute disney star turned pop diva Mylie Cyrus, "Its not about how fast I get there...It's not about what's waiting on the other side...It's the climb!"

Philippians 2:12 says 'Therefore, my dear friends as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.' The key word here is...Continue. Paul was either casually mentioning something we all think is good (to never stop discovering God and who you are in Him) or maybe addressing a negative behavior! Either way...most of us need to hear this!

Going back to what I said in the beginning, its a very convenient yet fatal mistake to consider yourself changed (and therefore having discovered all God is and who you are in Him) based on where you are on the 'mountain'. Its easy to do. You look around and there aren't many climbers on the upper part of the mountain. Many...most are at most a couple camps up from base-camp laughing and enjoying there jouney! And why shouldn't you enjoy every step of the way - you've made it this far. So you set up camp...and get comfortable; never climbing higher than the safe majority. That is not a heart being changed by Him.

God calls us to a dangerous yet very powerfully worthwhile climb...where we are never finished and though there is comfort, joy and rest beyond our imagination, we never really camp! Sure its safe and comfy but the challenge and risk are worth it...He is worth it!

CONTINUE!

Keep on obeying when it doesn't make sense. Keep on trusting Him when its hard. Keep on loving others when it hurts. keep on discovering who He is and who you are in Him. There is more than you could image. (see Philippians 3:14)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This I needed today. Thanks for writing and sharing your journey. At my age, I continue to climb because I want the FULLNESS of Him in my life. I stayed home today to lean into Him, to allow myself to be comforted while on the climb. Its part of the journey often missed. For how could I ever go higher without being comforted thru the pain of the stretch, danger, and uncertainty of what's around the bend as I climb toward the summit. ever climbing, mom